From: Jessica McKay <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Potlucks and Pilot Lights
Date: October 7, 2013 10:22:30 AM MDT
What a wonderful conference we had! It never ceases to amaze me that we have a living prophet on the earth today, just like anciently. I’m glad you all got to watch it, sorry all the talks were meant and written for me… 😉
Things I’ve learned in the past week:
1. Write in your journal every night.
2. It’s not where (or in what position) you serve, but how you serve.
3. Permethryn does great at dropping flies.
4. Heavenly Father really does want us to be happy.
5. Conference is 8 (or 10) hours of straight personal revelation.
6. I have a “teaching voice” that I didn’t realize I had until my companion pointed it out to me. It’s actually really annoying now. Haha
7. Sometimes the Lord has us go through challenging things to hasten our development.
8. You can receive personal revelation from every single verse in the Book of Mormon and have deep inner questions answered that you didn’t know you had or were too afraid to put into words. The Lord knows our hearts.
9. Liberal-ites can cook! And there is an abundance of potluck dinners in Kansas. (We had two in a row with the branch in behalf of general conference.)
10. I like my steak well done.
11. We can’t do it without the members (well, I already knew that, but it was just emphasized).
12. Singing hymns brings the spirit in instantly.
13. Full-time car has made me lazy (we were on foot all day on Thursday).
14. We could all stand to be a little more meek (especially me).
And all kinds of other amazing things from general conference.
Entonces, mi compañera nueva, Hermana Hunter, es gran. We are having so much fun. She actually reminds me of one of my best friends in high school, and even pulls some of the same facial expressions. It’s way weird. She’s from Montana, such a country girl, and fits liberal like a glove. We moved into our new apartment on Friday and we really love it. It’s adorable, and now that someone lit the pilot light for us and our heater blows warm air, Autumn now has my permission to arrive. The first couple nights it got really cold, and we couldn’t understand why our heater was blowing cold air.
Sweet News Flash: Sister Hunter went to BYU before she came out and was there the semester right after I left. I was wearing the BYU shirt I designed at work (the one with the letters in the shape of a cougar) and she goes, “Hey, I have that shirt!’ I laughed and said that it was way awesome because I had designed it. She said that they sold out really fast at BYU and everyone wanted one because they thought it was so sweet. I went to bed on cloud nine. I’d been wondering how they were recieved by the students. Sounds like they were a hit 🙂
So, here are some names you can start specifically praying for! (The most progressing are listed first) Raychelle: Her health and that she will feel at home in the church. She came to the second session of conference on Sunday and loved it. We feel like she is right on the brink of accepting a date for baptism! Gloria, Jesus, & Liala (a family), Marina, Monique, Stephanie, Angela, Irma, Paige, Jessica, Debbie, Samantha, Rocky, Holden, Rene, John.
It has been a wonderful week and especially weekend, and I am so thrilled to still have 9 months left as a missionary. I really feel like I am beginning to be changed and it is so exciting to see. Conference is an excellent opportunity to see where we are at spiritually and begin conditioning our spiritual stamina in the areas that have been unveiled as the ones that need some work. Let’s face it. We all need some work, and Heavenly Father cares enough about us to give us some direction on where to start. Love you all!